Everyone has a dream. One kid wants a pony, a grandmother wants a degree, and a man wants to get hitched. When we achieve our dreams, it is only normal to want to shout it out and tell others. Stories of “I did it” are more easily shared via social media these days, inspiring us and putting a smile on our faces.
5 Fun Facts brings you stories shared by Internet users about the moment when they finally achieved their dreams.
1. Her stepfather is officially her legal father after raising her since she was 9.
2. Karrie Brown has Down Syndrome and she won a fashion gig with her favorite label. She also acted in a short drama, The Decision.
3. “After being told she wouldn’t survive and spending 8 months in the hospital, my little girl turns 1 in 3 days at home.”
4. Brian was accepted by his top choice medical school despite having a meth addict as a father.
5. It’s the best feeling when you find someone you can relate to.
6. A childhood cancer survivor turned a nightmare into a dream by returning to the same hospital as a nurse 20 years later.
7. No hair due to chemo some years back vs the first hair cut after fighting the disease
8. When her mother had a profound stroke, they thought she would not live to see her daughter walk down the aisle. Here they are on her wedding day.
9. Shannon Satonori Lytle is the son of a warehouse worker and an immigrant. He struggled all his life, and now he has graduated from Harvard.
10. Collin Clarke, a gym employee with Down Syndrome, dreamed of becoming a body-builder all his life.
11. This man finally got his American dream after 10 years. He is now a proud American citizen.
12. This first generation college student came from a poor family of 10 in a small town. This summer, she landed an internship at one of the top 4 accounting firms, Deloitte.
13. A friend saved him when he wanted to end his life at 16. Now he is a new pediatric occupational therapy practitioner, helping children grow big and strong.
14. Gareth lost his leg to cancer. 3 years later, he completed the London Marathon despite being terminally ill at the age of 26.
15. “A local guy worked 16 years to win this tournament. Couldn’t be more happy for him and his family.”
16. He used to visit the game store almost every day when he was young. Now the store is carrying a game he created.
17. Her front teeth got damaged and for the first time in 7 years, she could actually smile.
18. 7-year-old Anaya Ellick was born without hands. Her cursive writing won her a national handwriting competition.
19. Due to religious and cultural differences, their families strongly opposed their marriage. After 8 1/2 years, love won.
20. In 2011, Morolake Akinosun tweeted that in 2016 she will graduate and go to the Olympics. In 2016, she graduated and went to the Olympics in Brazil where she took home a gold medal.
What story touched your soul the most? We’d also love to hear your dream-come-true stories. Spread the happiness around!
Preview photo credit szissousz / Reddit