Have you ever considered that a lot of mirrors in your bedroom might increase your cleaning time or that dark shades on your lamps could increase your electric bill? There are many things at home that we are used to and that we think are useful. But the truth is they either make us clean more often or create an uncomfortable atmosphere.
We at 5 Fun Facts have collected some tips that you can use especially if you are planning to redecorate your house or apartment.
1. Sofa bed
There is no real reason to try to save room by buying a sofa bed instead of a regular bed. Guests don’t come over that often. Transforming the bed every day and getting poor sleep is not good at all. Additionally, these sofas have less space, so the quality of sleep will be worse for this reason too.
- If you are going to buy new furniture, you should get a regular bed with a good mattress. This piece of furniture will stay in good condition for a much longer time than a transforming sofa.
2. Collection of plastic bags
We often don’t throw away plastic bags because we might need them. But one day, this will lead to a complete mess in your cabinet.
- It’s better to keep plastic bags in a small box and limit the number of bags to how many you can fit in the box. Buy a few big shopping bags and keep one of them in your bag that you take to work or in your car for when you go grocery shopping. And instead of keeping a huge number of plastic bags, recycle them.
3. Big number of boxes
It’s really convenient to store things in boxes. However, we often use too many boxes and don’t even remember what’s in them. As a result, you can waste your precious time looking for something in all of them.
- Clothes are better stored in a wardrobe where you can access them quickly. And a few big boxes are great for storing things you don’t use often. Write on the boxes what you keep in them.
4. Overloaded coat rack in the hall
Coat racks in the hall are always full unless you only have one coat for all seasons. But it’s the hall that makes the first impression in your house. If your coat rack is overloaded, the house looks messy, it takes more and more time to find a necessary coat, and things often end up on the floor.
- In order to avoid putting a lot of clothes on the coat rack, buy a smaller rack! It’s that easy! You can put a special hook for bags not far from the door.
5. No place for shoes
Even if you are careful with where you put your shoes, eventually the whole hall will look like a mess anyway. Also, if you don’t have special furniture for your shoes, there will be a lot of dirt in your hall in the winter. Then, this dirt spreads to other rooms and you have to spend more and more time cleaning.
- There are very small wardrobes for shoes where they are stored in a vertical position. If you have a small hall, you can buy one of these. The only problem with these wardrobes is the ventilation which can be solved by putting a lavender sachet on one of the shelves.
6. Huge mirrors in the room
Big mirrors in bedrooms often appear there because they are on wardrobes or closets. They can make a small room look much bigger. However, they require regular cleaning. If you have a lot of sunshine in the room, the dust is easily seen on the mirrors.
Unless you want to clean the dust several times a week and wash your big mirrors, order a wardrobe with one or 2 mirrors on the doors. And in order to make the room look bigger, you can match the color of the wardrobe or closet with the color of the walls.
7. Light wallpaper in the hall
Bright wallpaper colors really make the place look and feel bigger, but in fact, they only cause a lot of trouble. Light walls, especially in the area where people change shoes and coats, become grey and dirty when fall comes and the hall will look messy. Besides, it’s very hard to wash wallpaper and keep it clean. You will have to spend a lot of time on it, and in the end, you will end up having to change the wallpaper.
To avoid this kind of trouble, choose colors that are less light or cover the light walls with a cabinet.
8. Wire hangers
If you have a lot of wire hangers, there is a high risk of damaging your clothes while taking them out of the closet, and clothes made of delicate fabrics lose their shape because of stretching.
- Choose wooden hangers, which look much better, to avoid this issue.
9. Open shelving
One of the most popular things people have in their kitchens is open shelving. Unfortunately, there is a lot of dust in the kitchen. And often, the dust gets mixed up with grease and is hard to clean. These shelves and the things on them should be cleaned regularly, otherwise the dust becomes really visible. Another negative factor is the necessity to keep the place perfectly clean because you can’t put anything you want on these shelves, otherwise the place looks untidy.
- The best option for the kitchen is closed cabinets. Cabinets with doors of bright colors look great and they make the place look bigger.
10. Banquet tables
Many people have transforming tables that can become longer at their homes in case guests come over. But, guests don’t come that often and even though these tables can be transformed, they take up a lot of room and become dirty and dusty. So, it’s a really clunky piece of furniture that is used once every 6 months on a special occasion.
- It’s better to buy a smaller, round-shaped dinner table which can accommodate more guests.
11. Big mirror in the bathroom
A big mirror in the bathroom that starts right above the sink quickly gets covered with water stains. And it’s not very convenient to have to clean mirrors several times a day. The bathroom will look messy and you won’t like the reflection.
- If you are choosing which mirror to buy, choose a small-sized mirror and place it 7-10 inches above the sink. This will help you to avoid cleaning the bathroom all the time.
12. Dark lamp shades
Dark shades don’t let light go through very well, so the room will always be a little dark. To solve this problem, you can try buying the biggest and strongest light bulbs. But in this case, you will use more electricity and will have to pay more money.
- The best option is to change the color of shades: fabric or glass of a bright color will let the light go through very well making the place look cozy. And you won’t waste money on electric bills.
13. Carpet in the apartment
Carpeting, unlike a regular rug, has a short lifespan. If there is a stain on it, you will have to hire special people who can try to get rid of it. If you can’t get rid of the stain, you’ll have to change the carpeting or get used to living with the stain.
- If you want your floor to be warm and cozy, buy a regular rug. You can always wash it or buy a new one if you have to.
What other uncomfortable things would you add to this list? Tell us in the comment section below!
Preview photo credit depositphotos